Information on Volunteering for Mālama i nā honu
- Sign up by contacting us at [email protected]
- We run 3 hour shifts throughout day, morning until after sunset, where you will act as a Docent to explain facts about the Hawaiian Green Sea Turtles to beach visitors.
- You will also attempt to discourage visitors from harassing the turtles both in the water and on the beach.
- We prefer that Guardians be 18 years of age or older but will accept younger people, but they MUST be accompanied by a responsible adult on the beach (preferably a parent).
- We require that active volunteers commit to at least 2 shifts per month.
- Prospective Guardians are required to attend an orientation session at the beach and then spend at least 2 shifts (or until they are comfortable with the job) “shadowing” experienced volunteers on their shifts.
- Set up signs and take equipment (ropes, signs, ID book, statistics book, information pamphlets and basking record sheets) to the beach (morning shift).
- Watch for turtles emerging from the ocean.
- Keep beach visitors from surrounding turtles as they haul out of the water.
- Place red ropes around turtles at a 6-10 foot distance away from them as they settle in on the beach. Place warning signs around the perimeter.
- Identify known turtles; place ID signs at appropriate spots to identify them for visitors.
- Record the time each turtle comes out of the water and when it returns to the water.
- Photograph turtles that cannot be identified (particularly the scales on both sides of the turtle’s face).
- Talk to visitors, explaining facts about the turtles and the reasons why it is important to keep people from direct contact with them.
- Advise snorkelers that the same rules regarding giving turtles space and not interfering with their activities applies in the water as well as on land.
- Put away signs and equipment (sunset shift).
We graciously accept donations in order to continue our efforts. You can send us a check (see address below) or donate now using a credit card online. Please complete the form below to donate now.
Click on the button below to Donate Now. You will be able to specify any amount you desire. This process uses a secure connection.
Mālama i nā honu very much appreciates your monthly donation through this “subscription”. We will automatically charge your account each month in the amount you select until you notify us otherwise. Cancellation can be done by e-mailing us at: [email protected]
OR Send check to:
Malama na Honu
P.O. Box 1078
Haleiwa, HI 96712